Choosing the course that's right for you.
Course Category: Healthcare
Handling Clinical Complaints
Who Would Benefit
The training course is designed for front-line healthcare providers and PALS teams whose job role involves providing advice and support to NHS patients and their relatives and carers.
“Good complaint handling provides a direct and positive connection between those who provide services and the people who use them. Complaints offer a rich source of learning to help improve services for everyone.”
The NHS can sometimes be complicated to understand. Patients, relatives or carers may need to turn to someone for help, advice, and support, and this is where the Patient Experience Team can assist.
The course has been designed to help deliver a confident, thorough and robust response daily and when things don’t go to plan.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the customer complaint and enquiries process
- Work with teams to influence service improvement initiatives
- Be more confident in responding to complaints
- Able to uphold the NHS England Complaints Standards
- Able to uphold CCG core values: organised, honest, decisive, and compassionate
- Collaborate with stakeholders
The Programme Includes:
- An introduction to the critical principles of complaints handling
- Why it is important to handle complaints effectively
- Understanding why people complain
- Identifying a complaint as a gift
- Why it is essential to understand customer needs when they complain,
- Steps for handling customer complaints
- Understanding customer characteristics
- How to handle patient/service user complaints,
- Responding effectively – letters, emails and record-keeping
- Strategies for service recovery (following a complaint)
- Some vital statistics relating to healthcare and social care complaints,
- How to handle difficult customers
- What happens if the complainant is unhappy?
- Develop your skills in de-escalation and conflict and dispute resolution
- Following and delivering NHS guidance
- Set clear guidelines on the escalation of complaints
- Identify key strategies for continuous service improvements.