Choosing the course that's right for you.
Course Category: Healthcare
Leadership and Management for the New Consultant
Who Would Benefit
All newly appointed Consultants.
The newly appointed consultant faces many new and different challenges.
The principle of working in a learning environment changes to one of leading others and brings with it extra and new responsibilities.
This programme is aimed at those newly appointed consultants who have to face leadership and managerial challenges and covers a broad range of practical hands-on learning, alongside the essential knowledge that is needed to help and support the decision-making process.
To underpin the workshop learning, there are e-learning support modules available if required.
- CPD Points: 12
- Course Category: Healthcare
- Recommended No. of Days: 2
- Course Location: To be determined by Client
For more information contact Chris Dalzell
Tel: 0333 5777 144
By the end of the programme, the delegate can:
- Understand the true role and responsibilities of a consultant in the modern NHS
- Gain the leadership and management skills necessary to lead from ‘the front’
- Linking goals, vision and values to your leadership role
- Build presence as a new leader using the four leadership styles
- Ensure the management and delivery of a safe and robust clinical service
- Learn to work with the wider stakeholder agenda
- Become an exceptional mentor to up-coming junior staff
The Programme Includes:
Module 1: The roles and responsibilities of the new consultant
- The consultant role in modern healthcare
- Effective solutions to everyday issues
- What are the key elements to make an effective transition?
- Understanding Trust priorities, their drivers and impact
- Trust versus clinical responsibility
- Effectively communicating to the broad range of stakeholders
- Job plan impact
Module 2: Leading from ‘the front’
- Understanding the four styles of leadership and when to deploy each one-directing, coaching, supporting and delegation.
- Setting strategic direction including performance management systems, culture changes, having vision and developing values
- Principles of trust and probity
Module 3: Building and leading a team
- What makes an effective team?
- Team roles and specialities
- The stages of team growth and your role at each stage
- Resolving difference and conflict
Module 4: Risk & Governance
- Understanding the consultant's balance of responsibilities
- Engaging the whole team in clinical governance
- Managing identified risk - protection of self, team & Trust
- Management of complaints
- Avoiding complaint escalation
Module 5: Managing change and projects
- Defining the stakeholders in modern health
- Creating an environment for change
- Building resilience in your team and self
Module 6: Creating a successful teaching environment
- Structure in your organisational management of teaching
- The KIM model for structure, assessment and feedback
- Conducting a Teaching needs analysis
- Creating an effective support, mentoring & supervision framework
- When you have concerns about juniors