Choosing the course that's right for you.
Course Category: Healthcare
Breaking Bad News
Who Would Benefit
This workshop is designed to give those who have to give bad news and broach difficult conversations with increased confidence. Delegates will leave the workshop with the tools and techniques to prepare them for a difficult conversation and ensure that they are supporting patients and relatives through a stressful time in their lives.
Breaking bad news is never easy but it forms a part of many health care professional roles.
The manner in which bad news is given can have a huge impact on the receiver. It can be so daunting and difficult that the easiest approach is to avoid it and that can often make the situation worse.
The scenarios may vary, new diagnosis, deterioration in condition or life changing events, this workshop is designed to help you think about and prepare for different situations.
- CPD Points: 6
- Course Category: Healthcare
- Recommended No. of Days: 1
- Course Location: To be determined by Client
For more information contact Chris Dalzell
Tel: 0333 5777 144
- Have an understanding of the definition of bad news
- Have an awareness of the impact of bad news
- Be able to prepare for giving bad news
- Have the techniques to give bad news with compassion and kindness
- Understand the barriers to effective communication
- Have practiced giving bad news using scenarios
The Programme Includes:
- Background and definitions
- Getting it wrong, how does it make you feel?
- How does the patient feel?
- Setting the scene - preparing for the conversation
- Using a model for giving bad news
- Good communication skills
- Understanding compassion and kindness
- Practicing the skills of difficult conversations
- Evaluation and Close